Saturday, May 28, 2011

My battle with the word "fat"

In the last 10 months I have lost 11kg, 10 of those in the last 6 months. I'm by no means "fat" at the moment, and even when I was 11kg heavier I was still just a tad chubby, I wouldn't say I was very "fat". Even so, I still struggle with myself, on occasion, with thoughts that I am "fat".

The past week in particular I have thought of myself as "fat" more than I have in recent times. Even when I was 3kg heavier I remember feeling pretty content with my weight. I'm putting this down to the fact I have been a bit slack in the last 2 weeks. Probably been feeling a bit lazy, which could probably result in me thinking "fat" instead.

What is interesting, is that the last few days, when I've been feeling "fat", I've actually been at my lightest weight. It's possibly due to some muscle loss, or who knows what.

I started thinking about why I think of myself as "fat" so often, and I have come up with some thoughts.

My scales
Until this morning, every time I have stepped on the scales they have returned this horrible term back at me..

Overfat


Every day I get told I'm OVERFAT. That can't be good for my mental health!

(this morning it told me I was HEALTHY, but after my gym session it was back to being a big jerk face).

Wii Fit
This is pretty much just having a go at BMI. Until only about 1kg loss ago I was considered "Overweight". My Wii Fit Mii character would have slumped shoulders and be all upset because I was "Overweight". If my Mii character is all upset, why should I be all happy with myself??

I think Wii Fit is also giving me a very unrealistic idea of what weight I should be at. I'm pretty sure it tells me that my super ideal weight is 12kg lighter than what I am now.

Even after being in hospital for 5 days with pneumonia I wasn't that light (I got pretty close!). Crazy.

--

There is pretty big support out there in saying that BMI is shit. It clearly doesn't consider everyone's circumstances. What about people who have a lot of muscle? Some very muscley dudes are getting called obese due to their BMI.

Anyway, I think right now I should be sitting here and thinking I'm lazy. Not fat. Lazy.

Stop being so lazy Julie, you have a marathon to train for.

No comments:

Post a Comment